Most woody plants in our landscapes are native to woodland settings. In the forest, tree roots are covered by a thick layer of decaying leaves, twigs, and branches that are extremely high in essential plant nutrients. This thick layer of nutrient-rich humus is what supports the growth of large trees in areas where the native topsoil may only be a few inches thick and/or of very low fertility. Tree Specialists is now producing our own mulch — Forest Floor Mulch™ Mix — that simulates this natural humic layer.
Forest Floor Mulch™ is produced at our Holliston facility by blending aged woodchips with composed leaf matter. The resulting mixture is then processed in a large grinding machine, producing a finely-textured, natural dark brown mulch. This material closely resembles the composition of the natural humus layer found in our native woodland settings. Advantages include:
- attractive, natural appearance with no dyes, chemicals or additives
- conserves moisture without “suffocating” the soil the way bark mulch can
- breaks down gradually adding valuable organic matter to the soil
- produced locally for local use
- boosts soil biology for enhanced plant growth